Monday, December 22, 2008

Insta Family?

So those of you who I talk to on a normal basis or those who actually read my blogs (thanks) know that my boyfriend has a 2.5 year old son. Well it doesnt bother me. But after talking to some of my friends I realize that they think I am insane. I have gotten many how can you be with someone who has a kid? I cant believe you are getting yourself into an insta-family. What are you thinking?

Well I think this people are slightly insane. Well ok more than slightly. What difference does it make that he has a son? He takes care of him, loves him and is a wonderful dad. That says a lot to me. It allows me to see how he would deal with any kids that we might have. I just dont get it. Am I supposed to say "I cant date you because you have a kid that you take care of and love?" Yeah it sounds funny doesnt it. I mean come on people. We all know someone who has a kid and isnt with that person's mother/father anymore. Do they deserve to be alone and unhappy? Dont they deserve the same thing that others do? So why is it that at my age we are allowed to be completely selfish? Why do girls in particular always have to think they have to be number 1? I understand that everyone wants to feel important. But cant we do that without jeopardizing our lives. Im ok with him putting his son first. Hell I insist on it. Who am I to tell him that I should be more important to them? I think its ridiculous!

And then I have been getting well if he has a kid what makes you think he is going to want to have another. Well people thats where this all important thing called communication comes in. Maybe just maybe you should talk to the person about what they want out of life before you become serious with them. So for those who are worried about this let me tell you that this was one of our first conversations. He wants more kids just not right now. Hell I dont want kids right now either. But when his son turns 5 its something we will consider if we are still together. So dont worry. And quite frankly who am I to tell my heart who it can and can't love?
So please give me your feedback. I would love to hear what you guys think.

1 comment:

Little A said...

Courtney- STOP listening to other people's nonsense! That's MY two cents! If you like him, and he has a kid, what does that matter? I agree with you. It's a BLESSING that he has a child, and you are able to observe how he is as a father! Some people don't have that luxury, then they end up divorced or worse!